SBTC receives a $2,000 community grant to develop recreation plan for Lake Los Carneros and Ellwood Mesa.
SBTC receives grant to work with the City of Goleta to update its management plans for various city parks and open spaces, including Lake Los Carneros, the Sperling Preserve and other parts of the Ellwood Bluffs.
SBTC proposes to use ArcEditor GIS software and Magellan MobileMapper CX field survey gear to collect data relating to the various trails, trail sign and education materials that are currently in place to develop detailed maps of each area along with more comprehensive trail assessment and management plans that can be used by the City to update older management plans. Using the field survey tools, SBTC will survey each trail, current locations of trail signs, potential locations for additional signage and include recommendations relating to the above. These include:
- Trail width, condition, specific locations that need trail or tread maintenance or repair, areas where there are safety concerns.
- Locations where trail re-routes might be recommended and social trails might be eliminated.
- Overlays of biological and botanical information, migrant or other types of species that need special attention to ensure that trail use or maintenance do not pose a threat.
- Locations of creek crossings, beach access points and other locations in need of repair.
- Suggested placements for additional trail signage and along with monitoring plans.